At Sydney Animal Hospitals, we understand that pet grooming is an important part of keeping our pets happy and healthy. Regular pet grooming sessions not only ensures that our pets look and smell great, but is also beneficial to the health of your pet. We offer a professional pet grooming service because we want to provide our pets with the highest standards of care.
Our Pet Grooming Philosophy
When it comes to pet grooming we believe that:
- All pets should receive a high quality and professional service
- All pets should be groomed in a comfortable and safe environment
- The end result of our grooming sessions should meet your expectations
We know that regular grooming sessions are a great way to stay on top of your pets health, as many conditions can actually be picked up on during one of our grooms.
What happens during our grooming sessions?
We offer a full range of grooming, clipping and washing services for cats and dogs of all sizes and breeds.
During the course of one of our grooming sessions, we also provide:
- A free dental check
- Ear plucking and cleaning
- Anal glands expression
- Nail trims
- Flea treatments
- Shampoos that cater for different skin problems or sensitivities
Regular nail clipping, or trimming, should be part of the routine care of your pet. It is essential for elderly and indoor pets, whereas outdoor pets may wear their nails down naturally.
The requirement for nail trimming can vary depending on breed, age, level of exercise and the environment in which your pet is kept.
What you need to know about your dog’s nails
Working and herding dog breeds
Working or hearding dogs are usually active and generally have compact feet with well arched toes that angle the toenails downwards towards the ground.
- If active on hard surfaces such as gravel, rock and concrete, their nails may not need trimming.
- With age they slow down and exercise less and may require more regular trimming.
- You will still need to attend to their dew claws (the little claws on the inside of their front legs that don’t touch the ground) regularly.
Other dog breeds
Inspect your dog’s nails on a regular basis. (You may notice a change in the sound of your dog’s nails on hard floors. This is a pretty good indication that it is time for a trim).
What you need to know about your cat’s nails
Cats also require nail clipping, with the frequency depending on their lifestyle. Indoor-only cats will need more regular nail trims whereas outdoor cats may naturally wear their nails and require less frequent trimming.
What happens if my pet’s nails get too long?
If a pet’s nails are allowed to grow they can become a problem:
- Nails can split, break or bleed, causing soreness or infection in your pet’s feet and toes.
- Long nails can get caught and tear.
- Nails can grow so long that they can curl backwards into a spiral shape that can make walking very painful for dogs (it’s like walking in shoes that are too small).
- Uncut cat’s nails may curl so far that they pierce the paw pad, leading to infection and debilitating pain.
- The nail quick tends to grow out with the nail, making it nearly impossible to cut properly.
What to do when trimming your pet’s nails
Nails should be inspected and/or trimmed on at least a monthly basis. It is very important not to cut the quick of a nail as this is rich in nerve endings and very painful for the pet. If you do accidentally cut into the quick, pressing the nail into a bar of soap will effectively stop the bleeding.
Make an appointment today at Sydney Animal Hospitals to have your pet’s nails checked. We can teach you how to do it if you would prefer to cut them yourself.
Our grooming station is in a hospital facility
Some of the benefits of having a grooming station within a veterinary clinic are:
- Annual health checks and vaccinations can be conducted in the same visit
- Any ear problems will be identified and attended to
- Any lumps or skin problems will be identified
- We offer the option of sedation under veterinary supervision
- Our facilities allow for flexible hours of pick up or drop off
We also offer:
- A discount for return grooms within 6 weeks
- Scissor or style clipping available to give your pet that “show ring” look (on request only)
SAH – Inner West direct on Ph (02) 9516-1466
SAH – Kellyville and Norwest for grooming please contact Hills Grooming direct for prices and availability on Ph (02) 9688 6685
For further information on PET GROOMING visit: