Why chocolate is bad for your dog
Easter is known as a time for feasting and celebration, and many of us will be indulging over the long weekend with a tasty Easter egg or two. But if you have a pet pooch in your home, it’s important to be extra vigilant, because while Easter eggs are a tasty treat for humans, if your dog comes into contact with any leftovers, it can be a recipe for disaster.
Why is chocolate bad for your dog?
Ingredients found in chocolate – like caffeine and theobromine – are very bad for your dog’s health. Any vet in Sydney will confirm that these will lead to increased heart rate in dogs, as well as stimulating their nervous system.
The extent of risk to your dog will depend upon the concentration of these ingredients; the higher the level of cocoa in the chocolate, the greater the risk.
When to rush to an emergency vet
If you can identify both the type and quantity of chocolate digested by your pet, your vet can decide if your dog needs emergency help.
Mild symptoms are displayed with theobromine doses as low as 20mg/kg, while a 40 to 50 mg/kg dose causes severe heart-related symptoms. Chocolate ingestion above 60mg/kg can cause twitching, tremors, and seizures in your dog. Ingredients at about 200mg/kg can prove fatal.
Symptoms of chocolate poisoning
- Increase in urination
- Unusually high heart rate
Remedial Action Taken by Your Vet in Sydney
If your vet in Sydney feels that chocolate consumption is nothing to worry about, they will simply tell you to monitor your dog’s condition. In other circumstances, they may ask you to get your dog to the clinic. Activated charcoal doses will be given to your dog to remove the toxins from the body before their absorption into the bloodstream. This is helpful if the chocolate consumption has taken place within less than two hours. Severe cases may call for your dog to stay overnight with the vet.
As Easter is known as a time when there is a lot of chocolate around the house, ensure that any sweet treats are kept out of your pet’s reach during such times to avoid emergency visits to your vet in Sydney.
If your dog has eaten chocolate, contact us now.
Sydney Animal Hospitals have a poisons guide, click on the link for more info;
If you have any further questions about dog chocolate poisoning, please speak with one of our friendly veterinary team at your local Sydney Animal Hospitals on;
Newtown (02)9519 4111
Inner West (02)9516 1466
Norwest (02)8883 0411
Kellyville (02)8883 0533
Newport (02)9997 4609
Avalon (02)9918 0833
Our six convenient hospital locations are each open different hours, with after-hours emergency services available nearby when needed – click here to see – https://sydneyanimalhospitals.com.au/emergency-care/